4.04.2011

From the Kitchen

It took me way too long to learn how to make real French vinaigrette. It's so simple, it requires ingredients you probably have on hand, and you can make just enough for one serving.

I can't remember where I found the recipe but I think they are all pretty much the same.

1 T of Dijon Mustard
1 T of Red wine vinegar
(Whisk these together until blended)
2-3 T of olive oil
(Whisk this in slowly)
Add minced onion, garlic, salt, and pepper to your tastes

It's super yummy and it ensures that I finish off the lettuce in the fridge. 

We had this salad with the roast chicken that we often make and this phenomenal mushroom risotto. I half the recipe and I only use 10 oz of Baby Bellas instead of the crimini and the porcini.  


I like sweet potatoes. So when I saw this recipe for baked sweet potato fries on Joy the Baker's wonderful blog I decided to try it out. This was a stretch for me since I normally am scared of anything with "curry" in the description. My fries didn't get too crunchy but they were tasty. I wasn't a huge fan of the dip. When I first made the dip and tasted it, the only thing I could taste was frozen chocolate chip cookie dough balls (since greek yogurt is an ingredient). I am thinking I'm going to have to start going to meetings for those things.


Martha Stewart Living's Texas Red Chili. I've been wanting to try chili with big pieces of meat. Like... not ground meat. This was awesome. We didn't use the dried chilies. The magazine article told us to substitute 1/2 cup chili powder for the dried chilies, oregano, and cumin. You add the powder in with the onions and cook for 1 minute. This chili was awesome. It was way too spicy for me so next time I'll modify the spice and probably cut down the amount of chili powder. We'll also add beans.


Michael prepared this dinner when I was out with the Significant Other Support group. He wanted you to see how a man fixes his plate since our food photos are usually of my plate.



No comments: