We took the metro to the Circo Massimo stop to see the Bocca della Verita, another must see for fans of Roman Holiday. We had to wait in line, but the line moved quickly. Neither of us lost our hands so that is good news. Men used to bring their wives to see if their wives were truthful. We wandered to Piazza Navona to have lunch at La Foccacia which I briefly mentioned in my first Rome post. We had a starter of fried zucchini and I had gnocchi with tomato sauce and buffalo mozzarella. It was here that I fell in love with gnocchi. Michael had a spicy salami pizza and we split a 1/2 liter of chianti, which we had learned makes the roaming around much more delightful.

We walked to the Vatican. Unfortunately you can't go into St. Peter's wearing shorts. Maybe my bermuda's would have been passable but we didn't try. I really would have liked to go in again. I wonder if they let you in on Sundays if you're just touring. Anyway we headed to Old Bridge gelateria which I heard was one of the best in Rome. It didn't open until 3 so we sat around and waited. When it did open there was a line. It's a tiny gelateria and people pack in to the counter. I made my way in but couldn't really see all the flavors. I went with strawberry which was so yummy and French vanilla which was not really my cup of tea. We strolled back to the hotel along Via Cola di Rienzo. The trees had little purple flowers on them. There were a lot of stores along this street and it was pretty clean. I guess it is a nice part of town.

We went back to the hotel to rest. Then we went to Piazzale Napoleone (I think) which overlooks Piazza del Popolo to see the sunset. The hotel has bikes that guests can use for free. I really wish we would have ridden bikes in the Villa Borghese. Alas we were too tired.
We headed to Gusto Pizzeria for dinner. The Gusto complex has an enoteca, a ristorante, and a pizzeria. I had read that it's best to stick with the Pizzeria. Maybe we didn't order the right pizza because I wasn't that impressed. I did enjoy the hip atmosphere.
The next morning we had our breakfast, hopped on the metro to Termini train station and navigated our way to the Leonardo Express which took us to the airport. This was very easy to do, and cost us 30 euros for the metro and the train tickets. Much cheaper than a car ride. We had bought our tickets the day before at a kiosk in Termini station. Just make sure you keep your train ticket on hand and get it validated in the little yellow box before you get on the train.
There were even pigeons in the airport to wish us well on our journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment