So I said I wanted to keep reading a book a month (at least) as my New Year's Resolution again this year. I read Little Women in January and then I was too distracted in February and March to accomplish reading a whole book. I bought The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to read on the plane rides to and from Italy.
I didn't end up reading it on the plane. I was trying to sleep on the overnight flight there and on the way back I was too tempted to watch Black Swan and True Grit. Both were awesome. I was blown away by Black Swan. We recently watched 127 Hours. I had to pause it when the inevitable scene comes and take some deep breaths to avoid passing out. As far as the Oscar nominees for Best Picture I think all I have left to see is The Fighter. I'm really impressed by all the films that were nominated this year. Now I will return to my reason for writing this post.
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a book that you can't put down once you get a couple hundred pages into it. Michael was feeling under the weather Easter weekend so I sat and read the second half of the book in one day. The subject material is definitely disturbing, but not enough for me to sit around and think about it. If that makes any sense... I watched the movie upon finishing the book. I think the movie would be more disturbing if it was in English (they're actually making an English version to come out in December). If I have to read subtitles I kind of lose focus on the creepiness of the film. For example, I saw the Japanese version of The Ring and it just wasn't that scary.
Anyway after watching the movie I decided that I'm most likely not going to continue reading the series. I feel that there are too many books that I want to read that are about more pleasant things than violent sexual assaults on women. My friend let me borrow E.M. Forster's A Room With a View which takes place in Florence. This is exactly what I wanted to read before my trip, but I am loving being able to picture the scenes in my head since I've been there!
3 comments:
Oh, wow. I didn't know that's what those books were about. Hm. I have it on my to-read list. I guess I'll have to give it a try this summer. I'm trying to read more, as well. Right now I am reading a huge book, which is taking me forever to read. (A Game of Thrones.. they have an HBO series about it)
I need to go find your posts about Italy and check them out!
I struggled getting through "the scene" in 127 hours too. I fell asleep during The Fighter and recently saw The King's Speech which, as you know, was AMAZING! I haven't seen Black Swan and hesitate renting it because I'm afraid I won't like it. The only other nominee I haven't seen is Winter's Bone & True Grit.
I'm currently reading Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin. I read Something Borrowed because I wanted to see the movie. Which both were good. I definately recommend Something Borrowed. I like that she takes chick subjects and makes it more realistic. Easy and fun reading. Not your typical "chick lit."
Post a Comment