We opted out of the optional tour which was dinner at a winery. Apparently everyone got smashed. I was just way too tired. We couldn't stay in the hotel room because I would have fallen asleep. We ventured out from our hotel to the Gelateria Santa Trinita. I had peach with brandy. I'm just going to take a moment to dream about it. We sat on the Ponte Santa Trinita while we ate our gelato.
It was still too early to eat dinner (most places don't open until 7) so we walked to Piazza Santo Spirito and sat on the steps of the church for a bit. We should have gone into the church. I was in some kind of sleepy stupor, I guess. Sitting got old since the sun was baking us so we walked to the Ponte Vecchio and then to Piazza della Signoria where we sat in the Loggia dei Lanzi and looked at the sculptures (because you really can't get enough of them) and watched people.
When it was finally dinner time we followed the advice of The Lonely Planet and ate at Il Cernacchino. I had the pasta del giorno which was penne with tomato sauce and zucchini and capers. It was delicious. Michael had beef stew with onions in a bread bowl. The meat was tender and the flavor was wonderful. We both had chianti and we shared a slice of ricotta cheesecake. I think we ate for about 20 euros. Not only was it a great deal, but the woman behind the counter (who I believe is probably one of the owners) was extremely nice and appreciative of my limited Italian. You have to respect the eateries that don't translate their menus.
Since we were so close to GROM we (read: I) had to have more gelato. I got Crema di Grom, which is vanilla with cookies and chocolate pieces, and coffee. This was a match made in gelato heaven. (See above collage for photos.)
After our gelato we walked back to the Ponte Santa Trinita to enjoy the sunset. This was also recommended by The Lonely Planet.
The sunset is reflected in the windows on the Ponte Vecchio
Needless to say I was well rested for the awesomeness of Florence: Day 4, Part 1, for which you'll have to wait until tomorrow. For now we'll have to say goodbye or as Brad Pitt says in Inglorious Basterds...


1 comment:
Did you happen to find the Madonna sculpture with a neon halo on a street corner? I'm kicking myself that I didn't remember to tell you to find it. It's only about a 15 minute walk from the Duomo and it was on the street I lived on. I love that thing. You can see it on google maps street view. Sadly, you can't fully enjoy the neon glowing halo unless it is dark. Google map the intersection of via fra domenico buonvici and via masaccio and get down to the street view. She's right there on the corner of the building with the "papilla" sign. Like I said, her splendor can only truly be appreciated at night time. It was a welcome sight for me walking home from the bars at night time. "Hey Heather, it's me, Madonna. Follow my neon halo home. One more block to go!"
Post a Comment