On Sunday we went to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts to see the Picasso exhibit on loan from the Musee National Picasso in Paris (which I actually went to when I was in Paris). It's housed in a 17th century mansion that's being renovated. You can read more about it at the link above.
I think I appreciated it more this time around. I think I was kind of grumpy when I went to the museum in Paris because my foot was messed up. I also liked having Michael with me to talk about some of it. I really liked Portrait of Olga in the Armchair and Portrait of Dora Maar as well as the faces I think he practiced before painting the full portrait.
It's a pretty extensive exhibit and if you're in the area you should definitely check it out. There were a lot of people so go early like we did.
After we saw the Picasso exhibit we took a quick look around a couple other parts of the museum. We happened upon works by Jackson Pollock, Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Alexander Calder, and Mary Cassatt. Pretty cool.

Triple Elvis by Andy Warhol
Also, who knew Richmond was so pretty? I'm told that it is the largest community of Victorian architecture or something. I definitely want to go back in the Spring when it's greener and not raining. We traveled a few blocks from the museum to Carytown for lunch at the New York Deli. I completely forgot that I had looked on this photo booth website for booths in Virginia and that this place is on the list. There is a vintage photo booth machine! I was so pumped. I started planning our poses right away. The first three are posed and the last one is evidence of our lack of spontaneity. hehe. I guess it turned out kind of funny anyway.
Carytown is kind of like Charlottesville's Downtown Mall with local shops and restaurants. It's a shame it was raining cats and dogs and we didn't really have time to explore. Like I said, there will have to be a next time.
1 comment:
Marie, you JUST MADE MY DAY!! Taking photo booth pictures with each of my children and with bobby too has always been on my 'bucket list'.
Our 5 year anniversary is coming up and we were headed to New Orleans to celebrate. We are going to stop at the H&M patio bar for ours! YAY.
Post a Comment