My attempt to see all the Best Picture nominees was deterred by the price of seeing movies here. Also when do you ever feel like seeing a movie like Black Swan? The movies I did see were Toy Story 3, The King's Speech, Inception, Winter's Bone, The Social Network, and The Kid's Are All Right. Wait that's a lot. I think I only didn't see 4 movies. Not as bad as I thought.
This year I did try to see movies that weren't up for Best Picture but had actors or actresses nominated as well as any that looked interesting. We saw Animal Kingdom (Jacki Weaver nominated for Best Supporting Actress). That was really intense and it was a good film. We also saw The Town (Jeremy Renner for Best Supporting Actor. I thought it was ok. Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker) is CRAZY.
While I didn't see Black Swan I am very happy that Natalie Portman won Best Actress. She really is a fantastic actress and I like her in every movie I see. I'm sure once I finally see Black Swan my feelings will not change.
COLIN FIRTH! Yay! I didn't see Crazy Heart last year so I don't know what Jeff Bridges' performance was like, but Colin Firth in A Single Man (for which he was nominated for Best Actor) last year was ah-mazing. Seriously it was the performance of his career. I guess the film wasn't big enough? He was, of course, incredible in The King's Speech and I totally concur with the Academy awarding him Best Actor.
That being said, I was very happy to see The King's Speech win best picture and Tom Hooper win for Best Director. The film was very well done all around.
All in all I think the competition was tough for the movies this year. All the ones that I saw I fully enjoyed and I expect I will also like the ones I haven't seen. It's just too bad Anne Hathaway and James Franco were such terrible hosts. Why was Anne Hathaway hooting and hollering after announcing presenters? Why do the writers think that good jokes are the ones they make about other actors? The only good part of the hosting part of the show was when Billy Crystal was on stage for like 30 seconds. I will say that they weren't as terrible as Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were last year.
I wasn't blown away by any acceptance speeches. Melissa Leo (Best Supporting Actress for The Fighter) said the F word. She looked like she felt pretty bad about it. I did like Colin Firth's speech. And Tom Hooper's. He said his mom went to see the play The King's Speech and called him to tell him she found his next movie. And he won an Oscar for it. How sweet.
There weren't any horrible dresses that I remember. My two favorites were Cate Blanchett's and Michelle Williams' dresses.
I watched the awards online through some website that streams video. The station that I watched was Sky TV a British channel and I have to say the host and critics covering the awards were entertaining.
So it was a good year for movies. I don't know about all that other junk that comes out but the movies nominated (that I saw) were good and I'd recommend seeing them.
2 comments:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one watching. I can't wait to get the kids involved with ballots and debates over best and worst dressed with Molly.
haven't seen The King's Speech yet - HURRY UP NETFLIX!
Thoughts on Oscars:
-I really hope that Billy Crystal's few minutes on stage have sparked an interest in him for hosting again. He always was an amazing host. Love him!
-James Franco and Anne Hathaway were bad. Franco looked bored and miserable the whole show. Hathaway was trying to hard and just looked cheesey pathetic. If the Academy wanted to appeal to a younger demographic, they should have had Justin Timberlake host. He's funny, has great charisma, can sing, dance, oh yeah-- and he just happened to be in a Best Picture nominee this year too. Of course, we're biased here because Jeremy and I love JT.
-Where were the actors from Inception? No DiCaprio, Caine, Page, Gordon-Levitt, Cotilliard.... None of them were there! So weird for a Best Picture nominated movie.
-I'm so glad that they showed clips of the nominated actors' performances again this year. The clips had been absent the last couple of years in lieu of talk about how wonderful and amazing and important they all are. Barf! I want movie clips in my Oscars ceremony!
-I still don't understand why the "best make-up" category only ever has 3 nominees.
Post a Comment