I was in quite a funk last week. Among other events, we started the week watching Precious which was seriously disturbing. Artistically speaking it was a good film. Later in the week we watched Towelhead which I had read about and did not think it would be as messed up as it was. I really don't recommend either. Let's all just be happy and pretend that these things don't happen in real life.
We also watched Where the Wild Things Are. I don't recall being in love with the book as a child, but I do remember making a paper plate "wild thing" mask in first grade. I painted it pink. Someone copied me and I remember telling my mom that it upset me. This led to one of the greatest lessons from her- when someone copies you it is a compliment. Back to the movie. I was sleepy when I watched it. After about 30 minutes it gets really dark. I would have been fine with it being a really short movie. I mean the book has what.. like 50 words in it? The best parts of the movie are the music and the owls Bob and Terry who totally aren't in the book. Well and the cinematography is lovely.
I have enjoyed two great films in the past two evenings. One is Coco Before Chanel. I've been waiting for it to be released on DVD since it started playing in France. The film starts with her as a child and stops at the beginning of her career in fashion. It is very well done, and of course my ears loved hearing French.
The second film is The Young Victoria which rightfully won an Oscar for best costumes. Like Coco Before Chanel this film covers Victoria's life up to the first few years of her reign. I won't lie. I love period films, and I greatly enjoyed this one. No violence, no scandalous-ness, just a beautiful film. I almost wish it was hours longer and covered more of her life.
No comments:
Post a Comment