1.19.2010

Hey Good Lookin'

Here's what's been cookin'...

Last Tuesday Michael had to work 'til 11 pm so I perused Real Simple's 78 pages of main dishes while I waited to pick him up. Here's some recipes I found and how we liked 'em.

Feta Chicken with Zucchini and boiled, salted new potatoes

It's important that you use a roasting pan that has a rack because the lemon juice ruins the zucchini without a rack. If we would make this again we would use less lemon and more feta. But we probably won't.

Our rating: 3 out of 5


Chicken and Cashews in Lettuce Cups with Sesame Green Beans

This was delicious and quick and easy to make. Next time we will make sure to dry the lettuce after washing it.

Our rating: 5 out of 5


Beef and Sweet Potato Turnovers with broccoli.

Instead of puff pasty we used reduced fat crescent rolls. The sweet potato added a hint of sweetness to the turnover. We used four crescent rolls per turnover.

Our rating: 4 out of 5


Roasted Salmon with Potatoes and Mushrooms

This was very good for those who like salmon. For some reason I keep trying salmon and I really don't like it that much when it's cooked. I did enjoy the sauce although it was a little too mustard-y for Michael.

Our rating: 3 out of 5


Chicken Cutlets with Smashed Potatoes and Peas

This was yummmy. We added cheddar to the potatoes which really kicked them up a notch.

Our rating: 5 out of 5


Bananas Foster Crepes (from Martha Stewart Living February 2009)

The crepe recipe was good except I overlooked the fact that the batter should chill for 2 hours - 1 day until I was ready to make them. I chilled it for an hour and the crepes turned out fine. I don't know what the difference would be. I think I have seen crepe recipes that add vanilla. This one didn't but I have a feeling it would add a little something to it.

Our rating: 5 out of 5


As for the Bananas Foster recipe, everything smelled right up until we added the rum. Either it's way too much rum or it didn't stay on fire long enough. Michael couldn't eat all of his because of the overwhelming taste of rum and I got most of the sauce off of mine because you know I don't spare any dessert. Since I had to buy a nice sized bottle of dark rum I have a feeling we'll be trying this again.

Our rating: 3 out of 5


I'm leaving tomorrow for wedding festivities (and king cake) in New Orleans. There you have it. That's what's goin' on.

No comments: