7.25.2009

Most Valuable Player

Well yesterday was the last day of camp. I was a bit sad that it was over since we were really starting to get to know the campers individually and not by the group that they were parts of. In the morning we had a 3 on 3 basketball tournament and I manned the craft table where several campers were coloring bandanas. We had talked about making a counselor team and I learned that this was still the plan when the championship game was about to take place. I had to be on the team. I had informed my fellow counselors that I had never played basketball before and it would be wise not to throw me the ball.

Who knew basketball could be so much fun? I think I provided more comic relief to the onlookers. I screamed when the ball came my way or when people were running towards me and I generally ran around to stay out of the way. After a few minutes I started getting the hang of it. I dribbled the ball and even caught it when it was passed to me. After half time Mark called out to me that he was throwing me the ball and I was going to shoot it. I didn't have time to think. He threw it to me. I shot. I scored. The crowd went wild and Brady picked me up in celebration. This will never happen again in my life. The counselors won the game and I was named MVP! I can finally lay claim to those initials that tempted me to drop my maiden name.

No comments: