3.09.2012

Butterflies?

A couple nights ago we finally wikipedia'd the Monarch butterfly. Earlier that day I had noticed that there was very little green left on this chrysalis. I figured in a day or two we'd have our first butterfly. The next day it looked like the picture below. I checked on it around 11 am before running errands and it looked like it was still there when I got back. Fifteen minutes later I took Theo outside and the butterfly was gone. We had read that the butterfly will emerge in the morning and take quite a while for its wings to stiffen. So what happened? 


This morning there were two more empty chrysalises. I spotted this butterfly on its wings on the ground. It wasn't moving so i took this little stick and gently touched its legs. To my surprise it grabbed onto the edge of the stick. I put the stick in the ground and the butterfly moved its wings and hung on. I went to work today so I couldn't keep an eye on it, but Michael saw it when he got home and his wings looked about the same. 


Is something getting my butterflies? Is it too windy? Can they not hang onto the shed siding? 

No comments: