Yesterday we spent the day raking the back yard. In the summer I was trying to cure some of my sickly plants with pesticide (which I really felt bad about) and I foolishly sprayed the milkweed. I killed the monarch caterpillars and I even found a dead Monarch butterfly on the ground. I felt terrible. So when I saw all these caterpillars munching away I was beyond excited! I can't wait to share these friends with baby.
The way that gardening seems to work for me is if I neglect it, it will do just fine. The rose bush at our apartment in Charlottesville had more blooms than I've ever seen on a rose bush and we paid no attention to it. Now it's our hydrangea which seemed to be struggling in the dry summer heat and the soil by the shed that seems to always stay wet. Yesterday I removed the old dead blooms and leaves and noticed pretty new blooms. Who knew?


No comments:
Post a Comment