2.16.2010

Happy Mardi Gras

I'm blaming the snow for the delay of posting those last two entries as well as for any other lack of motivation as far as Valentine's or birthday cards (or thank you's from Christmas) are concerned. I did some serious spring cleaning on Friday in an effort to make the snow hurry away. This didn't work. In fact, we got a couple more inches yesterday.

We saw "An Education" on Saturday after work. It's one of the 10 movies nominated this year for best picture. I am making it a point to see all of them this year before the awards show. The movie was based on someone's memoirs and the screenplay was written by Michael's favorite author, Nick Hornby. We both enjoyed the movie, but I wasn't wow'd by it.

We went to our friend Billy's home for dinner and we watched some of the olympics. I am sad we don't have cable because I can't watch the figure skating. Maybe I can find it online.

Sunday we had a fabulous Mr. B's dinner planned out. Duck, shiitake, and goat cheese spring rolls with Ginger Soy dipping sauce, Pecan crusted catfish with Creole Meuniere Sauce and White Chocolate Brownies with Mr. B's Chocolate Sauce. The spring rolls and the catfish turned out better than they looked. We decided that we'd leave the spring rolls to Mr. B's. Much more trouble than they're worth. The brownies were delicious and this time I put the correct amount of coffee in the sauce. It was a very labor intensive meal and while we both enjoy cooking, I'll be on the lookout for an easier menu next time.

Michael had the day off yesterday for President's Day. The city schools used it as a snow make up day and I got a call to sub as an Instructional Assistant in a Preschool class. The teacher that I was with was excellent and I had a positive experience. Needless to say I was completely wiped out when I got home and I was dreading going to the grocery store. I opened the door to Michael cooking Mr B's Gumbo Ya-Ya. This was especially comforting because it had started snowing around 1 o'clock.

The ingredients patiently wait for the roux to get dark enough

The recipe says the roux should be the color of mahogany (we settled for a little lighter)

The roux was made with butter instead of oil and it was deeeelish

No comments: