I forgot to talk about the Academy Awards a few posts ago. It was a long post and really the awards should have their own post. First I would like to say that I need to step up my movie watching before the awards next year. Not only because I didn't get to watch all the Best Picture nominees, but I also hadn't seen Julie and Julia for which Meryl Streep was nominated for Best Actress among other films like Crazy Heart, which had quite a few nominations.
About the red carpet- Rachel McAdam's dress was by far my favorite. Mom noticed big buttons on the back and I totally missed it (since I was knitting during the show. for shame!) and I haven't managed to find a picture. Here's a picture of the dress. I hope I'm citing it correctly.

Picture copyright: Rick Rowell / ABC
Next, I'll tell you that I thought the hosts did an awful job. Well, whoever wrote the script did a terrible job. In my opinion the most prestigious awards night should celebrate those nominated - not belittle them. There were a few really great acceptance speeches. My absolute favorite being Christoph Waltz's (Best Supporting Actor in Inglourious Basterds). The link is to his speech. You should watch it even if you didn't see the movie.
And what the heck Sean Penn? Get over yourself, for real. From what I understood when he got to the mic to announce the winner for Best Actress he meant that Meryl Streep better be the name inside the envelope. Now, I didn't see The Blind Side but Sandra Bullock is generally unimpressive so maybe she finally delivered a more than decent attempt at acting? We'll talk more about this when I finally see the movie. Anyway, I finally saw Julie and Julia last night. I enjoyed it. Meryl Streep was fantastic, and she was fantastic in Doubt last year. I suppose the academy is accustomed to her nailing her roles. I mean, Kate Winslet in The Reader? You can't pass up the opportunity to award her for that. What I mean is that Sean Penn shouldn't be nasty. You might as well have had Kanye West up there to put a damper on Sandra Bullock's acceptance speech a la the 2009 Video Music Awards. Recognizing the year's best actress is not the time or the place.
Here's a list of all the winners. Congratulations to The Hurt Locker and to Kathryn Bigelow for winning the oscar for directing The Hurt Locker. She's the first female to win for Best Directing (not to mention she's James Cameron's ex-wife). I was really hoping Inglourious Basterds would win, but I'm so happy that Avatar didn't.
I thought the show would have potential with Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin co-hosting. I hope they find better writers next year.
And what the heck Sean Penn? Get over yourself, for real. From what I understood when he got to the mic to announce the winner for Best Actress he meant that Meryl Streep better be the name inside the envelope. Now, I didn't see The Blind Side but Sandra Bullock is generally unimpressive so maybe she finally delivered a more than decent attempt at acting? We'll talk more about this when I finally see the movie. Anyway, I finally saw Julie and Julia last night. I enjoyed it. Meryl Streep was fantastic, and she was fantastic in Doubt last year. I suppose the academy is accustomed to her nailing her roles. I mean, Kate Winslet in The Reader? You can't pass up the opportunity to award her for that. What I mean is that Sean Penn shouldn't be nasty. You might as well have had Kanye West up there to put a damper on Sandra Bullock's acceptance speech a la the 2009 Video Music Awards. Recognizing the year's best actress is not the time or the place.
Here's a list of all the winners. Congratulations to The Hurt Locker and to Kathryn Bigelow for winning the oscar for directing The Hurt Locker. She's the first female to win for Best Directing (not to mention she's James Cameron's ex-wife). I was really hoping Inglourious Basterds would win, but I'm so happy that Avatar didn't.
I thought the show would have potential with Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin co-hosting. I hope they find better writers next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment