6.21.2009

Hello Muddah, hello Faddah

What can I say about camp? There are about 60- 70 kids in camp. They were 4-6 graders this past school year. It's basically day care. So unfortunately the kids aren't interested in many activities. After a tumultuous Monday lacking in any kind of structure I came home and researched typical camp activities. They were totally not interested on Tuesday. The good news is that there are plenty things on the schedule such as going to the movies, swimming, golf, outdoor activities, crafts, and field trips. The kids will play basketball all day long if we let them. Hey, if it ain't broke...

There is a group of girls (most of whom I know from volunteering) who are into my corny jokes, crafts, and friendship bracelet making. We made father's day cards on Friday. There are about 15 girls interested in knitting so I am pretty excited about that. Several already know how to knit so they can help me out.

As far as I know I haven't been called any bad names yet- well besides being called a square. The kids can be pretty mean to each other and very disrespectful to the counselors. I have yet to feel discouraged and I am waking up each day and starting with a clean slate with the kids. After all I think they just need a good role model.

1 comment:

Anne said...

If knitting is for squares, then I'm right there with you in the 'Square Club.' Interesting. :-)

I enjoyed reading the camp update - glad to hear that things are going OK, and hope you have a great week!

(PS: I am flattered to know that the strawberry spinach salad deserved mention... Personally, I was much more excited about the chocolate cake!)